Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Afternoon of Surgery Day



Claire's surgery was delayed because of an emergency surgery that went before her. She was finally taken back about 10:45 am. Pastor came to spend the morning with me, praise be to God. He was a lifesaver. He entertained Claire VERY well. They played with bubbles, potato heads and even stuck tissues into their ears and noses. That was all great until the woman who's son is next to us decided to bring her breakfast tray into the room and explain to Claire that she is sorry but that Claire just can't eat right now. Of course this brought on quite a FIT! Pastor and I took her to the playroom where she reenacted the previous night by hitting me, screaming at me and head banging me.

Finally they came to say it was time to go! That was all Claire wanted to hear, that she could "GO!" So we walked with her to the recovery area where they prepped her a bit. They gave her "norsvec(?)" in her IV. What a dream child! She smiled sweetly at me, leaned forward to give me a kiss. She was floating high! We laid her in her crib and I slid off her shoes. One at a time she gave a big surprised look and giggled beyond belief. You would have thought I had just pulled a rabbit out of my hat!

So, outside of a bruise upside my cheek from Claire beating the tar out of me, I have been prayed for, nourished and well prepped with magazines!!!! Pastor left as Jenny and my mom got here and Tamara will be coming here in a little bit to be handed the "baton." I am not sure how long Tamara will be staying but it is nice to have people here as I wait.

I have a beeper and we have been contacted twice since Claire went into surgery. The first time they let us know that the surgery started at 12:00 pm. The second one was at 1:45 pm to let us know that they were still doing some exploratory work and that we should expect it to take another 8 to 12 hours from that point.

No comments: